Gene expression predictor of incident cardiovascular death. (A) Two-way hierarchical plot of normalized transcript abundance (columns) by subjects (rows), highlighting the three deepest clusters. The column to the left illustrate subjects with cardiovascular death during follow-up: note the over-representation in the blue cluster and under-representation in the red one. (B) ROC for the sensitivity of PC1 of the 238 probe (230 gene) signature of cardiovascular death in the joint analysis. (C) Projection of hierarchical clusters on first two PCs. (D) Kaplan-Meier survival curve contrasting individuals in the bottom 29% of PC1 (blue curve; PC1 < -3.5), which includes 97 subjects (all 51 of the blue cluster and 46 of the orange cluster), and the remaining 71% (red curve; n = 240, PC1 > -3.5).